To be the best, you need to beat the best.
Nashua-Plainfield will get that chance on Friday, Oct. 21, when the Huskies (5-3) open the playoffs against one of the five undefeated teams in Class A.
West Hancock, Britt (8-0) will host N-P in the first round of the 32-team state tournament. Kickoff is at 7 p.m.
Hudson 4-4, which beat N-P on Friday 20-14 to finish third in Class A District 4, will travel to to Newman Catholic, Mason City (7-1) on Friday.
N-P fell to fourth. Grundy Center, 8-0, and Wapsie Valley (6-2) were first and second in the district.
FIRST ROUND – CLASS A
- 4th place teams at 1st place teams
- Westwood, Sloan (4-4) at AHSTW, Avoca (8-0)
- Bellevue (4-4) at Alburnett (7-1)
- Belle Plaine (4-4) at Grundy Center (8-0)
- North Union (5-3) at Hartley-Melvin-Sanborn (6-2)
- Earlham (3-5) at Lynnville-Sully (8-0)
- Wapello (4-4) at North Linn, Troy Mills (7-1)
- Nashua-Plainfield (5-3) at West Hancock, Britt (8-0)
- South O’Brien (4-4) at Woodbury Central, Moville (8-0)
- 3rd place teams at 2nd place teams
- Maquoketa Valley (5-3) at Columbus Community (7-1)
- Lisbon (5-3) at East Buchanan (7-1)
- Tri-Center, Neola (4-4) at Gehlen Catholic, LeMars (7-1)
- Hinton (5-3) at Logan-Magnolia (5-3)
- Southwest Valley (6-2) at Madrid (6-2)
- Ogden (6-2) at Mount Ayr (7-1)
- Hudson (4-4) at Newman Catholic, Mason City (7-1)
- Saint Ansgar (5-3) at Wapsie Valley, Fairbank (6-2)