Good morning, Nashua area readers. It’s Wednesday, Nov. 2, 2022. Here’s a look at local news.
1. Warm and breezy today and tonight — Today will be sunny, with a high near 75, with a south wind 8 to 13 mph increasing to 16 to 21 mph in the afternoon, the National Weather Service says. Winds could gust as high as 32 mph. Tonight will be partly cloudy, with a low around 53. Breezy, with a south wind 14 to 16 mph, with gusts as high as 29 mph.
2. CROP UPDATE — Iowa’s corn for grain harvest is 77% complete, which is five days ahead of last year and nine days ahead of the average, according to the U.S. Dept. Of Agriculture’s update released Monday. North Central Iowa’s corn harvest is at 80%, while Northeast and South Central Iowa lag at 58% and 59% complete. Northwest Iowa leads at 95%.
Floyd County is in the North Central reporting district. Chickasaw County is in the Northeast district
The soybean harvest is 94% complete, a week ahead of last year and 10 days ahead of the average. North Central is at 99% while Northeast is at 97%
3. The countdown to Huskies hoops season has begun — The Nashua-Plainfield girls will open the Huskies varsity basketball season at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 22, at Tripoli. Then there’s the Thanksgiving break followed by the a girls and boys doubleheader at home against Rockford on Tuesday, Nov. 29.
4. Three-day weekend ahead — Nashua-Plainfield schools will be closed Friday, because of extra hours worked by staff to put on parent-teacher conferences this week.
5. You can vote in-person early — Although Election Day is Tuesday, Nov. 8, early in-person voting is happening now.
“You can vote early at the Chickasaw County Auditor’s Office, 8 E Prospect St, New Hampton, IA 50659 starting 20 days before an election,” the Auditor’s Office’s web page explains. “Your voted ballot will be placed in a sealed envelope and securely stored until Election Day. Your ballot will be opened by a bipartisan team of Election Workers, separated from anything identifying who the ballot belongs to, and counted.”
The Auditor’s Office is open 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday. The phone number is 641-394-2100