Good afternoon to all in the Oelwein area, here are some news nuggets you might be interested in:
1. WEATHER — Today will be partly sunny, with a high near 74. South wind 6 to 10 mph. Tonight, there is a 20% chance of showers after 1 a.m. Otherwise it will be mostly cloudy, with a low around 51. South wind around 7 mph. (Extended Forecast)
2. OCAD ANNOUNCES RECIPE GATHERING EVENT — Go downtown to start assembling a cookbook and taste samples during the Treats, Streets and Avenues Recipe Collection from 4-7 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 7. Start at the Oelwein Chamber and Area Development office to pick up your cover, ring, location list a few recipes and samples. Then make your way around to participating downtown businesses to receive recipe cards and more samples. Participation is free
3. ALUMNI INVITED TO PERFORM WITH OHS BAND — The Oelwein High School band department issued an invitation to alumni to marching band alumni night at this Friday’s home football game. Today’s band will have alumni join in for a joint performance of pregame. Then alumni are invited to stick around for the band’s halftime performance of “Agent 54.” If you need an instrument or materials other than music, let Mr. McBride know. The alumni meet time will be 6:15 p.m. Pregame will be at 6:50 p.m. There’s no uniform but alumni are encouraged to wear a band shirt from their years in high school band.
4. OELWEIN POLICE MAKE 3 SEPARATE ARREST 3 OVER WEEKED: According to Oelwein Police news releases, officers made three arrests between Friday, Sept. 30, and Saturday, Oct. 1. On Friday offices arrested Nicole Marie Pingree, 38, and Natalie Jolene LaPole, 29, both of Oelwein, and both on a Fayette County warrants for an original charge of violation of a no contact order. On Saturday night, police arrested Sarah Jayne Moore, 32, of Oelwein, on a charge of simple misdemeanor assault after a disturbance was reported in the 900 block of 1st St NW.
Oelwein, Starmont/West Central and NFV Cross Country teams will compete today at the Hart Ridge Golf Course in Manchester, beginning at 4:15 p.m. Other teams: Alburnett, Anamosa, Beckman Catholic, Cascade, Cedar Valley Christian, Center Point-Urbana, Clear Lake, East Buchanan, Edgewood-Colesburg, Independence, Isaac Newton Christian Academy, Maquoketa, Maquoketa Valley, Marion, Mount Vernon, Springville, Tipton, Vinton-Shellsburg, Waverly-Shell Rock, West Delaware, Western Dubuque and Xavier. (Results)
West Central volleyball will travel to Kee, Lansing tonight for a 6 p.m. game.
6. NE IOWA HARVEST SLIGHTLY BEHIND STATE— The Iowa Crop Progress and Condition Report issued Monday says 60% of the corn in Northeast Iowa is mature, compared to 82% statewide. The corn harvest in NE Iowa is at 7%. It’s at 11% statewide. For soybeans, 79% of the crop is mature in NE Iowa and harvest is at 19%. Statewide those figures are 80% and 26%.
“Harvest was in full swing with little or no precipitation allowing farmers 6.7 days suitable for fieldwork during the week ending October 2, 2022, according to the USDA, National Agricultural Statistics Service, the report says. “Fieldwork included harvesting row crops, chopping silage, and some fourth cutting of hay.”
If you appreciate reports such as this, please consider liking and following The Oelwein Post on Facebook to help us grow and provide this free service.