Good morning, it’s Wednesday, Sept. 14, 2022, and here are 5 things you might want to know:
1. Weather: It will be sunny, with a high near 80 and a southeast wind of 5 to 10 mph, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight will be Partly cloudy, with a low around 59, and a southeast wind 8 to 10 mph.
Tuesday saw a high of 73, low of 45.
2. CROSS COUNTY CHAMPS: The Oelwein boys cross county team won Tuesday’s Starmont Invitational, defeating Class 2A, 3A and 4A teams. Click here for results. Four Huskies finished in the top 10: Conall Sauser (2nd), Ray Gearhart (5th), Benjamin Driscoll (8th) and Jacob Sullivan (9th).
Charlie Sieck of Starmont-West Central took first with a time of 16:47.88. Sauser’s second place time was 17:02.92.
The Oelwein girls cross country team finished in 10th (Results)
3. VOLLEYBALL SCORES:
– Sumner-Fredericksburg volleyball won 3-1 in Oelwein. (18-25, 25-14, 25-14, 25-3).
Oelwein head coach Lee Andersen tweeted: “Even in defeat, we proved we can hang with anybody when we play our game at our level. Winning that first set against Sumner-Fred was truly electric. Couldn’t be more proud of the fight & heart we showed tonight. We believe & we belong.”
– Central Elkader volleyball defeated West Central 3-1 (25-22, 24-26, 25-23, 25-18).
4. TRASH HAULER CONTRACT: The Oelwein City Council is weighing whether to re-bid the single-hauler garbage contract or negotiate a price Black Hawk Waste. The council was to hear presentations from Republic Services, Waste Management and Kluesner Sanitation.
5. AIRPORT KEEPS RENT STEADY — The Oelwein Municipal Airport Board recently voted to not increase hangar rental rates after reviewing those in the area and finding Oelwein’s rate was average. Currently there are four vacant hangars.
Categories: Oelwein Posts