Oelwein man charged after September stand-off with police, altercation at hospital

An Oelwein man is charged with multiple felonies following a stand off on Sept. 24 with police, as well as a scuffle with officers later at the hospital.


Jerad Lee Stewart, 22, is charged in Fayette County District Court with two counts of disarming a peace officer and one count of assault on persons in certain occupations while displaying a dangerous weapon, all Class D felonies. He is also charged with the aggravated misdemeanors of first-offense domestic abuse assault while using or displaying a dangerous weapon or with the intent to inflect a serious injury and assault on persons in certain occupations resulting in bodily injury. Additionally, he is charged with the serious misdemeanors of assault on persons in certain occupations, interference with official acts resulting in bodily injury and first-offense possession of marijuana.

According to the criminal complaints filed by the Oelwein Police Department, at about 7:30 p.m., Sept. 24, an Oelwein woman called 911 and reported she had been physically assaulted by her boyfriend, Jerad Stewart, who she said was armed with a gun.

Police responded and a roughly 1.5-hour stand-off ensued when Stewart barricaded himself in the basement reportedly with a shotgun and a semi-automatic rifle. He allegedly aimed a firearm at law enforcement officers and threatened to shoot them.

Through the efforts of Captain Ron Voshell and Police Chief Jeremy Logan, Stewart disarmed himself and surrendered himself to the Oelwein Police department, the court documents say.

After Stewart surrendered police searched the scene to clear the home of any more possible threats. They took pictures of the weapons used by Steward and they reported finding THC wax and drug paraphernalia in plain view.

Stewart was transported to the Mercy One Medical Center in Oelwein in an attempt to have him committed, the complaints say, but at about 1 a.m. Sept. 25, police were told Steward had been denied committal. At about 1:40 a.m., officers advised him that committal was denied and that he was going to be placed under arrest.

Stewart “seemingly grew extremely angry” as an officer advised him of his charges, says the officer’s report. “Jerad began to talk very loudly towards us and got more verbally aggressive.”

When an officer told Stewart to turn around and put his hands behind his head and another officer attempted to put him in handcuffs, Stewart attempted to flee on foot, the reports say. An officer standing by the doorway grabbed Stewart as he attempted to get past and “took him off of his feet.”

As officers attempted to secure Stewart on the ground, one officer noticed that Stewart was “attempting to pull on my firearm and draw it from my holster. I forced him away from my weapon and rotated myself so I was on his back. I was trying to hold his lower body down and trying to force his hands behind his back. I warned Jerad that I would tase him if he continued to resist arrest. Jerad did not comply and he was tased by using the drive stun method.”

Stewart then pulled a Taser out of another officer’s holster, but the officer held onto it. An officer “drive stunned” Stewart to loosen his grip on the Taser and getting it away from him, the reports say.

“After several minutes of trying to secure Jerad, we were able to get his hands behind his back so that we can handcuff him,” an officer reported.

He was then transported to the Fayette County Jail for processing.
One officer sustained an injury to a knee in the altercation.

Stewartr has been appointed an attorney at state expense.

He posted bail on Sept. 28, a $5,000 surety bond, and is scheduled to be arraigned at 10 a.m. Nov. 2.
arraignment 10 a.m. Nov. 2