Good morning, Charles City area readers. It’s Monday, Oct. 31, 2022. Here are 7 local news updates for you at 7 a.m.
1. WEATHER — Today will be sunny, with a high near 66, according to the National Weather Service. Winds will be calm, becoming northwest around 6 mph in the afternoon. Tonight will be mostly clear, with a low around 36. Calm wind.
2. Halloween — The official trick or treat times in Charles City are 6-8 p.m. tonight. Here are some Halloween events tonight:
• Trinity Treats, 5:30-7 p.m., trick-or-treat inside United Methodist Church, 601 Milwaukee St, Charles City
• Trunk or Treat at Bridge Church, 6-8 p.m., 913 S Main St., Charles City
4. Comets earn All-State music honors — Singers Anders Haglund (tenor) and Kaity Heckers (alto) and musicians Sophia Jensen (flute) and Lily Eagen (violin) earned invitations to the 2022 All-State Music Festival.
5. A note from Charles City basketball -—“ You’ve got two great opportunities in the next week to see former Comets play at the collegiate level. Bradley Andrews (Truman State) at Iowa Hawkeyes (10/31 @7PM, Carver Hawkeye Arena) Jackson Molstead (Wartburg) at UNI Panthers (11/7 @ 7:30PM, McLeod Center).”
6. County Board to consider communication position funding request this morning — Declining revenue from cable TV franchise fees have left Charles City school, municipal government and economic development officials looking for additional funding for an existing position responsible for public access programming. The Floyd County Board plans to consider a plan that would make changes in the position and draw more funding from the county. (Read more)
6. Carly’s Fight update — In 2021, Charles City teen Carly Simonson was hospitalized because of life-threatening blood clots. She has been on a long recovery road which has been bolstered by much love from her hometown. Last week, her family posted in Facebook how much cards and letters meant to her while she was hospitalized. Family members read those cards to her not knowing whether she could even hear them.
“Carly told us she heard EVERY ONE of those cards & told us that she thought she was responding to Miyah & Jenya reading them… WOW!!” her mother, Michelle, wrote in an Oct.21 post on the Carly’s Fight Facebook page. “Soooo Carly, from the beginning of all of this, heard EVERYTHING that went on. She also continued to tell us the names of the different songs that I sang to her & also let us know she heard different conversations that went on when she wasn’t able to respond…we were in shock!
“Carly would love to get Birthday cards again this year & Miyah & Jenya plan on reading all of them to her. 💜 We are optimistic that next year she won’t need her sisters to do this, but for now they are happy to do so.”
CARLY’S BIRTHDAY IS NOVEMBER 5! 💜
If you would like to send Carly a card her address is:
706 2nd Ave
Charles City IA. 50616