Good morning, Oelwein area readers. Today is Wednesday, Oct. 26, 2022. Overnight Monday rain totals, the closing of Viper Lanes, a send off schedule for Oelwein’s runners heading to State and a West Central retirement are among the 7 local news updates at 7 a.m. for you.
1. TODAY’S FORECAST — Today will be sunny, with a high near 52 and a northwest wind of 7 to 10 mph. Tonight, clouds will roll in and the low will be around 34. Winds will be calm (Extended Forecast)
2. Oct. 24-25 rains soak Fayette most— The rain totals are in for Sunday-Monday’s showers. Oelwein received 1.4 inches, according to the National Weather Service. The city of Fayette saw 1.8 inches, the largest total reported in Northeast Iowa.
3. Oelwein bowling alley closed for repairs — Viper Lanes is closed until further notice after is suffered “major damage,” it’s owner announced Tuesday on social media. (Read more)
4. Oelwein to give Huskies cross country team a send off to State — The itinerary for Oelwein’s State Meet send off on Thursday for the Huskies boys cross country team is:
- 8:30 a.m. at Wings Park,
- 8:45 a.m. at Oelwein Middle School,
- 8:55 a.m. at Oelwein High School, and
- 9 a.m. — The community will send them off through town with police and fire department escorts. Starting at the bus barn, they will travel down 8th to Charles then to Frederick and finally to County 57.
5. Wapsie Valley volleyball seeks regional crown tonight — The Warriors (40-4) will play Beckman Catholic (28-10) at 7 p.m. tonight at West Delaware High School in Manchester for the Class 2A Region 7 championship.
WV defeated Cascade 3-0 (27-25, 25-11, 25-9) and Regina Catholic 3-0 (25-17, 25-10, 25-13) to get to the title game.
Beckman Catholic defeated Northeast 3-0 (25-22, 25-23, 25-15 ) and Wilton 3-0 (25-13, 25-23, 25-10).
The winner will go on to play the Class 2A Region 8 champion. That title tilt between Eddyville-Blakesburg-Fremont (29-5) and West Burlington (36-6) is also tonight.
6. West Central celebrates longtime teacher — West Central posted a note and photo on Facebook on Tuesday about honoring longtime teacher David Palas with a second retirement cake. After his first retirement from teaching math in May 2008, he returned in the fall of 2008 as a substitute. Click here to go to the post and send your well wishes!
7. Support the United Way. Go out to eat —Here is the Oelwein Area Restaurant Days 2022 Schedule: