Good morning, Nashua area readers. Today is Tuesday, Oct. 25, 2022, and the Nashua dam, pumpkins in the library and all-conference Huskies are in today’s 7 local news reports at 7 a.m.
1. WEATHER — Chickasaw County has been in a moderate drought, but the bit of rain recently is unlikely to change that. And don’t expect any more today. It will be mostly sunny, with a high near 53. Northwest wind 6 to 13 mph. Tonight will be partly cloudy, with a low around 35. Northwest wind around 8 mph. (Extended Forecast)
2. City files lawsuit over dam damage — About a year after serious damage to the Cedar Lake dam was discovered, the city of Nashua has filed suit in Chickasaw County District Court against a Decorah construction company that worked on it in 2020. (Read more)
3. Top of Iowa Conference recognizes trio of volleyball Huskies — Nashua-Plainfield seniors Paige Ripley and Bailey Fisher and sophomore Paige Franzen have received Top of Iowa All-Conference honors. (Read more, watch highlights)
4. Captain Underpants wins library pumpkin contest —The Nashua Public Library announced the winners of its Character Pumpkin Contest on Monday and the Kaci and Zach Sinwell Family’s Captain Underpants took first place. (Read more)
5. More Halloween fun at church — On Sunday, Oct. 30, St. Michael’s Youth will present their Haunted House at the St. Michael’s Parish Center. The time block of 4:30-5 p.m. will be for small children. Then 5-7:30 p.m. will be more scary. $5 admission. (Check out more events in the Nashua Community Calendar)
6. Huck to race at state meet Friday — Nashua-Plainfield sophomore Kadence Huck will race in the Class 1A girls state championship cross country race at 10:30 a.m., Friday, Oct. 28, at Lakeside Municipal Golf Course in Fort Dodge.
7. Trick or treating hours set —The Trick-or-treat hours in Nashua will be 5-7 p.m. Monday, Oct. 31. Nashua volunteer firefighters will serve hot dogs afterward at the fire station from 7-8 p.m. Trick or treat hours in Plainfield will be 5:30-7:30 p.m.
The weather forecast for the day is sunny with highs in the upper 50s.