Good morning Oelwein area readers. Today is Saturday, Oct 22 and here’s what’s in the local news.
1. WARM & WINDY WEEKEND— Today is sunny windy, with a high near 82 and gusts as high as 31 mph. Tonight will be Mostly clear, with a low around 59. South wind 13 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Sunday will be Mostly sunny, with a high near 78. Breezy, with a south wind 16 to 25 mph, with gusts as high as 38 mph. (Extended Forecast)
2. OELWEIN RUNNERS STATE BOUND — Led by Conall Sauser, Huskies boys cross country team will aim for a state title on Friday. Click here to read more and here to watch a video of an in-school parade for the boys.
3. SEICK STATE SHOWDOWN NEXT WEEK — West Central senior Charlie Seick, who runs cross country as a member of the Starmont team, is ranked No. 2 among Class 2A cross country boys. On Friday, he can prove the rank wrong once and for all.
Seick placed first at the State Qualifying Meet at Hickory Grove Golf Course on Thursday with a time of 16:44.55.
On Friday, Oct. 28, he will race in the 2022 Class 2A Boys Cross Country State Championship in Fort Dodge. There he will race Des Moines Christian Aaron Fynaardt, who is ranked No. 1 and who was first at the State Qualifying Meet in Shenandoah with a time of 15:48.61 1
4. WAPSIE VALLEY FOOTBALL WINS PLAYOFF GAME 1 — Senior quarterback Casey O’Donnell leads the Warriors to a 35-0 win over Saint Ansgar in the first round of the Class A football playoffs. Click here for more details and scores.
5. BLUE DEVILS VOLLEYBALL PLAYERS HONORED — West Central senior Abby Squires is a unanimous selection for the Upper Iowa All Conference First Team. Kaydence Martin is on the second team, and Kassidy Bantz and Faith Steinbronn are honorable mention.
6. CONCERT TONIGHT AT WILLIAMS CENTER — See Collision of Rhythm at 7 p.m., tonight at the Williams Center for the Performing Arts, Oelwein. Duo comprised of tap-dancing classical virtuoso, Aaron Williams, and beatbox juggling keynote speaker, Bronkar Lee. $40 admission. Students enrolled in the Oelwein Community Schools are admitted free.
To see more Oelwein updates as they post, please like and follow The Oelwein Post on Facebook.