Good morning, Oelwein area readers. Here’s your morning update.
1. Comfortably warm (today) before the storm (Tuesday night) — Tonight will be sunny, with a high near 71. East wind 5 to 9 mph becoming south in the afternoon. Tonight will be mostly clear, with a low around 51. South wind 6 to 9 mph. Rain is expected Tuesday night followed by cooler temperatures the rest of the week. (Extended Forecast)
2. Events center contribution on Oelwein City Council agenda tonight — At its meeting that begins at 6 p.m. tonight, the City Council is scheduled to vote on filling a funding request for the Oelwein Events Center project. The nonprofit behind the project has suggested $600,000 in funding sources and in-kind contributions such as waiving some permit fees and paving adjacent parking lots.
City administration’s recommendation includes the in-kind contributions, although the estimated values are less than anticipated by the nonprofit. It also draws only from the local option sales tax and the hotel/motel tax for $350,000, for a total donation of $436,653. (Click here for agenda and documentation)
3. Dinner plans for Wednesday? The Oelwein Fire Department’s annual spaghetti dinner will be 4:30-7:30 p.m. on Wednesday at the fire station. Menu: spaghetti, meatballs, tossed salad, garlic bread and a beverage. Cost: $10. Carry out available, call 283-5722.
4. State officials reject Oelwein request for trail project funding: The Iowa DNR Natural Resources Commission will vote on city park and open space grants at it’s Oct. 13 meeting. DNR staff recommended funding for eight projects in cities with populations between 2,000 and 25,000. Oelwein’s request for $100,000 to construct a segment of a municipal trail was one of eight rejected.
“This trail segment is an integral part of the Oelwein Municipal Urban Trail System connecting the two sides of town,” says the project description in DNR documents. “Trail segment 2 will be a mixture of off-road construction consisting of eight-foot-wide Concrete trails and on road markings. This extension will create a dedicated continuous trail from the far west side of town to several parks, downtown, sports complex, Oelwein Family Aquatic Center and the entire school system located on the east side of town.”
5. OHS volleyball begins postseason Oct. 17 — Oelwein volleyball will begin regional play in Dubuque on Monday, Oct. 17. Game time is 7 p.m.