1. OHS BAND MEMBERS MARCH AT UNI: On Saturday, 15 Oelwein High School band students practiced alongside the UNI Panther Marching Band and then performed with it during halftime of the Panthers football game against Indiana State at the UNI dome in Cedar Falls. Altogether there were nearly 500 band members on the field performing all together.
2. WEST CENTRAL STUDENTS FIX A PORCH: West Central industrial tech teacher Justin VerMeer’s Special Projects fixed the porch at a local home last week, according to the district’s Facebook page. The porch had some rotting caused by sloping around the house. students broke up a concrete sidewalk that was leaning toward the house, tore off the rotted lumber (skirting around the porch), installed new treated plywood and graded the dirt so water would away from the house.
3. BUSINESS NEWS
- Ice Cream Junction plans to close for the season Sunday, Oct. 9
- Second Chance New and Used is moving to 3 South Frederick. It’s grand re-opening date is yet to be determined
- Crop progress: 3% of soybeans had been harvested in Northeast Iowa as of Sept. 2% of corn.
- Employment in Fayette County: The latest local figures available are for August. It showed non-farm employment at 6,900, which is up 100 from July, but is down 200 from August 2021.
4. RANDOM HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL NOTES
- West Central’s Brandon Cushion is 2nd in rushing touchdowns in Iowa 8-player football with 27. Rowan Carlson of Tripoli is 1st with 30.
- Cushion is 4th in all-purpose yards with 1,629. Rowan is 1st with 1,703.
- Cushion is 5th in rushing yards with 1,340.
- Oelwein’s Ethan Detemmerman is 5th in Class 2A in interception return yards with 70