Good morning, Oelwein area readers. It’s Wednesday, Nov. 16, 2022.
• TODAY’S WEATHER — Cloudy skies will persist into the night. Snow is likely mainly before 9 a.m. Be careful on the slick roads. The high temp will be around 32 and the low 18. Northwest winds during the day will blow 8 to 14 mph and shift to west in the evening with gusts of up to 20 mph. (Extended Forecast)
• BUSINESSES BUSY REMODELING — Sydney’s Bridal continues to remodel the 7 South building in downtown Oelwein, aiming for a January opening date. Up the street, The Purple Thistle tattoo shop is also updating a South Frederick storefront.
• Help the Oelwein FFA feed families — The Oelwein FFA is asking for help in feeding 30 families with their Thanksgiving meals. The chapter is collecting food to fill 30 boxes by next Monday. Donations can be dropped off at the Oelwein High School front office or the ag classroom. (More details)
• SATURDAY ENTERTAINMENT —Catch Pianopalooza: Dueling Pianos, 7-9:30 p.m., at the Oelwein National Guard Armory, 200 10th St. SE. Doors open at 6 p.m. Fundraiser for the Oelwein Athletic Booster Club. Presale tickets: $25 per person, $40 couple (Contact Deanna Smock at 563-920-3430. Tickets at the door: $30 per person, $50 per couple.
• SPORTS: The Oelwein girls wrestling team opens its season on Saturday at a tournament in Independence. It begins at 9 a.m.
• RECIPE GATHERING EVENT — Go downtown to start assembling a cookbook and taste samples during the Treats, Streets and Avenues Recipe Collection from 4-7 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 17. Start at the Oelwein Chamber and Area Development office (6 S. Frederick) to pick up your cover, ring, location list a few recipes and samples. Then make your way around to participating downtown businesses to receive recipe cards and more samples. Participation is free.