Good morning, Oelwein-area readers. It’s Tuesday, Nov. 8, 2022 — Election Day. Here is some local news to get your day started.
• WEATHER — Today will be partly sunny, with a high near 52. Breezy, with a southeast wind 13 to 16 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph. Tonight there will be a 20 percent chance of showers after 3 a.m. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 46. South wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 26 mph. (Extended Forecast)
• SPORTS — Wapsie Valley junior Lily Schwickerath qualified for the 2022 Iowa Girls State Swimming and Diving Meet in three relays with the Waterloo United team. She will anchor the 200-yard medley and swim third in both the 200- and 400-yard freestyle relays. The meet will be Friday, Nov. 11, and Saturday, Nov. 12 at the Marshalltown YMCA/YWCA.
• ELECTION DAY — Polls close at 8 p.m. tonight, that’s an hour earlier than the last general election, so plan accordingly. Click here for the polling places.
• VETERANS DAY — The Veterans Day program at Oelwein High School will begin at 10 a.m. Friday, Nov. 11. Doors will open at 9:30 a.m. The program will begin with the Presentation of the Colors by the Oelwein American Legion and VFW Honor Guard and the national anthem sung by the Concert Choir. Jamie Jacobs will present a welcome and then the Oelwein Band will perform followed by keynote speaker Jesse Paul. The event will conclude with a Concert Choir performance, the Honor Guard folding of the flag and echo taps sounded by OHS musicians.
• SUPPORT YOUR FAVORITE GRINCH — Voting for your favorite Grinch candidate will be open until noon on Thursday, Dec. 1. Votes (a food donation) can be made at the OCAD office, Oelwein Kitchen Cupboard or at these locations:
— For Diana Stewart – Oelwein Dollar Fresh
—For Missy Kane – Transco Railway Products
— For Sue Crandall – OCAD Office
—For Steve Milder – West Central School
—For Jerry Bostian – Fareway
• PUBLIC SAFETY — Executing “drug house warrants” law enforcement agencies arrested 12 people, including nine from Oelwein, on Friday. (Full Story)