Good morning, Oelwein area. Here’s your 7 local news nuggets at 7:30 a.m. Friday, Oct. 7
1. WEATHER — Today will be partly sunny, with a high near 52. North wind 6 to 9 mph. Tonight, expect widespread frost, mainly after 1 a.m. Otherwise, mostly clear, with a low around 30. Northwest wind around 6 mph becoming light and variable.
2. New Kwik Star open — The Kwik Star on Oelwein’s south side opened this morning. There will be an open house and ribbon cutting at the new Oelwein Kwik Star at 10 a.m. Tuesday, Oct. 18.
3. WV takes third in NICL volleyball tournament — The final results on the two-day North Iowa Cedar League are: 1) Dike-New Hartford, 2) Denver, 3) Wapsie Valley, 4) Union, 5) Grundy Center, 6) Sumner-Fredericksburg, 7) AGWSR, 8) South Hardin, 9) Gladbrook-Reinbeck, 10) Hudson, 11) Jesup, 12) Columbus Catholic, 13) Aplington-Parkersburg, 14) Oelwein, and 15) East Marshall.
4. S-F, WV GIRLS CROSS COUNTRY TAKE 2ND AND 3RD AT PLUM CREEK — Sumner-Fredericksburg junior Hillary Trainor won the varsity girls 5K run at Plum Creek Thursday with a time of 19:19.2, leading the Cougars to a second-place finish. Wapsie Valley junior Ava Vandaele surged at the end to place fifth with a personal best 20:13.2 to lead the Warriors into third place at the New Hampton Invitational held at the Fredericksburg golf course. The Crestwood girls took first. For video highlights click here.
5. OELWEIN FOOTBALL POSTSEASON ON THE LINE TONIGHT — If Oelwein (1-2, 2-4) can bounce back with a win at home tonight against Wahlert Catholic (2-1, 4-2), it could clinch Class 2A District 4’s fourth and final playoff spot by beating North Fayette Valley (1-2, 4-2) in the last week of the regular season. Kickoff in Huskies Stadium is 7 p.m.
6. FOOTBALL GAMES TONIGHT:
- North Fayette Valley hosts Union, 7:30 p.m.
- Starmont hosts Maquoketa Valley, 7 p.m.
- Sumner-Fredericksburg hosts Beckman Catholic, 7:15 p.m
- Wapsie Valley hosts North Tama, 7 p.m.
- West Central hosts Central City, 7 p.m.
7. Looking for Halloween events, check out the Oelwein Calendar of Events.