Electrical problem caused fire that killed 6,000 chickens in Charles City


CHARLES CITY – On Monday evening the Charles City Fire Department (CCFD) responded to a fire at a building on Zoetis property, namely 2640 7 Mile Road. Major fire damage occurred to the building, with eight fire departments assisting the CCFD.
Today, with the assistance of the Iowa State Fire Marshal’s Office and Zoetis, a determination as to the cause of the fire was established. It was found that an electrical wire began arching due to a malfunction which created a fire within the building.

There were approximately 6,000 chickens in the building at the time of the fire. The building and its contents was valued at around $3,080,000 according to a Zoetis representative.

Categories: Charles City

%d bloggers like this: