From the return of a familiar face to Charles City School District finances, here are 10 things to know about Charles City Schools this week:
1. On Aug. 10, Erik Hoefer will begin his new tenure as a Charles City 3rd grade teacher. The popular teacher is returning after retiring in 2016 to attend seminary. He will also be the middle school cross country coach.
2. As of Aug. 1, Rob Pittman and Ryan Fank are co-coaching the Charles City High School wrestling team.
3. Pittman will lead a social studies trip to Peru this year.
4. Brad McKenzie is the new head coach for the new soccer program. Initial plans are for a co-ed team. There remains doubt among School administration that enough girls want to play soccer. Editorial comment: Now is the time for female soccer players to stand up together. You deserve your own team and there are plenty of you to fill it. Tell your principal you want to play. Editorial bluster over. Now back to your regularly scheduled program.
5. The school district is paying its communication and community engagement employee $56,518. The mean salary for secondary teachers in Iowa is $46,820. Media salaries in this region are nowhere close to that.
6. Student meal prices for this school year will increase 10 cents each to $1.45 for breakfast and $2.60 for lunch.
7. The high school yearbook will increase $1 to $53.
8. Driver’s education will increase $10 to $355.
9. Building principals and department directors will receive a 1.19 percent pay package increase this school year.
10. Here is a Calendar of upcoming school events.
- Aug. 8 – In-person registration from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at CCMS
- Aug. 9 – In-person registration from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. at CCMS
- Aug. 9 – Online registration ends
- Aug. 14 – Regular School Board meeting at 6:30 p.m. in the 7th grade learning studio at CCMS
- Aug. 21 – Back-to-school conferences for grades K-4 from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. at Washington and Lincoln elementaries
- Aug. 21 – School pictures for students at Washington & Lincoln elementaries only
- Aug. 21 – Open House for CCMS & CCHS from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Aug. 23 – Classes begin for the 2017-18 school year
- Aug. 26 – School-to-School 5K run/walk at 8:30 a.m. starting at CCMS
- Aug. 28 — Regular Board meeting at 6:30 p.m. in the 7th grade learning studio at CCMS
Categories: Charles City Schools