UPDATE (Tuesday, June 27): The School Board approved all items up for a vote Monday night. It took no action regarding the placemaker repurposing proposal from the city.
From RAGBRAI emergency contingencies to the superintendent’s pay, here are 10 things to know about the Charles City School Board meeting that begins at 6:30 p.m. Monday, June 26, in the 7th grade learning studio at the middle school.
1. All of the district’s schools and the North Grand Building will be emergency shelters for RAGBRAI visitors to Charles City in case of severe weather or other emergency on July 26 if the board approves four memorandums of understanding with the city.
2. Engaging the help of professional “placemaker” Zach Mannheimer from McClure Engineering Company in regards to the North Grand Building is not yet off the table. The board will consider meeting with the Charles City Council about a partnership. Mannheimer was the creative force behind the Des Moines Social Club project and he has projects underway in Council Bluffs, Fort Dodge, Earlham, Algona, Fayette, Jefferson and Newton, according to school district administration.
3. Superintendent Dr. Dan Cox will get a 1.19 percent raise in his salary if the School Board agrees with his recommendation.
4. Instructional assistants Karleen Sickman, Christin Flucke and Holly Caspers have submitted their resignations.
5. Sickman is taking the position of Intervention Room coordinator, at a pay rate of $20.57 per hour.
6. Recent Charles City High School graduate Noah Robbins will become the middle school football coach at a salary of $2,656
7. The substitute teacher pay is slated to remain at $105 per day.
8. A mental health counselor based in Mason City, Cody Williams, will contract with the district to provide assessment, counseling and therapy services. His practice, Turning Leaf Counseling, will provide services in the district for up to two days a week, according to the contract the board will consider.
9. The school district’s Iowa School Board Association dues for 2017-18 are $5,282.
10. The district will celebrate the completion of Its new Transportation Center behind the high school with an open house at 6 p.m. July 24.
Categories: Charles City Schools