CHARLES CITY — The demise of the Charley Western Trailway bridge over the Cedar River is rerouting this year’s Firecracker 5 race.
City staff recommend approving changes presented last week by Community Development Director Mark Wicks.
The new route will require closure of Owen and Jung Streets as well as Salsbury from Clark to Owen from 7-9 a.m. July 4.
There are two races scheduled. One is 5 miles and the other is a 5K. Both begin at 7:30 a.m. on Salsbury/Comet Drive.
The 5-mile race route is:
- North on the Charley Western Trailway
- Turn onto 11th Avenue and do a little jog on Lane Street onto North Main.
- Turn right onto North Jackson and then connect with the recreation trail along the Cedar River
- Cross the Cable Stayed Bridge and veer left onto sidewalk.
- Turn left on the Gilbert Street Bridge
- Turn onto Court Street.
- Turn left and cross the Main Street Bridge and rejoin the recreation trail next to the Lions Rose Garden
- Head downstream to the IC ballfields
- From there it uses Clark Street briefly to Jung Avenue to Owen and the finish line back on the trail adjacent to Salsbury/Comet Drive.
The 5K race will turn left onto Owen from Salsbury/Comet Drive up to First Avenue, cross Clark onto Leland and connect with the recreation trail. It will go under the Brantingham Bridge on the trail to the Walking Bridge behind the public library. There it will cross the bridge and circle around the Firs Cedar Terrace South building and then head up along the trail to the Main Street Bridge where it follows the same route back as the 5-mile race.
The 5-mile race