A Charles City man was the sixth fastest Iowan in the Boston Marathon on Monday, and the countdown is on for proms at two schools this coming weekend.
Good morning, it’s Tuesday, April 18.
CHARLES CITY AREA WEATHER
Charles City’s Prom, with the theme “Picture Perfect,” will be on Saturday, April 22. Here is the schedule:
- 6:30 p.m. -— Doors open for Grand March (Charles City Middle School Gymnasium)
- 7 p.m. — Lineup for Grand March
- 7:30 p.m. — Grand March (admission $1)
- 9 p.m. — Dance
- Midnight —After prom (Charles City Middle School)
- 3 a.m. hypnotist
The R-R-MR Prom begins at 7 p.m. at the school.
In Floyd County news, the city voted to pull out of the joint law enforcement center project with the county, as reported here.
THURSDAY, APRIL 20
- Cedar Talks: “The Executive Order,” 6-6:30 p.m., The Pub on Cedar, Charles City. Dr. Donna Hoffman of UNI will talk about executive orders by the president — past and present in this free, non-partisan presentation. Contact: Kate at email@example.com.
FRIDAY, APRIL 21
- * Nashua Fireman’s Dance, 8:30-11:30 p.m., Nashua Town and Country Club, 2898 Asherton Ave. Farm Rock performance begins at 8:30 p.m.
SATURDAY, APRIL 22
- Painting class, make “Cow Cutie,” 9:30 a.m. Saturday, April 22, The Rustic Corner, 413 N. Main St, Charles City. Instructor: Robin Macomber of Art Box Painting Cost: $45. For more information, click here.
- Boot Camp for a Cause, 2 p.m., Nashua-Plainfield High School football field, Nashua. Benefit for the Tysdahl family and #TeamKnox. Cost: Give what you can. Being put on by Brandon Marks Fitness.
SUNDAY, APRIL 23
- * Mother/Son Outdoor Adventure, 1-4 p.m., Sunday, April 23, Tosanak Recreation Area, 2535 Glass Road, Marble Rock. Sponsored by the I.C. PTO. Click here for more details and to register.
* Charles City Singers Concert, 7:30 p.m., Trinity United Methodist Church, Charles City. “The Journey: Songs of the British Isles.” Advance tickets $5 at First Security Bank & Trust, First Citizens Bank, the Charles City Area Chamber of Commerce, CC Art Center and from members. Tickets at door $7; students K-12 free. Click here for more.
MONDAY, APRIL 24
- Spring Sing, 7:30 p.m., Immaculate Conception School
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 26
- Immaculate Conception Spring Salad Luncheon & Card Party, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Wednesday, April 26, at the Columbus Club, 502 Clark St., Charles City. Cost is $7. Serving hot & cold salads, deviled eggs, desserts and drink. Carry outs available. Cards (500 & Bridge) begin at 12:30 p.m. Tickets are available at the I.C. Parish Office and at the door on the day of the event.
- St. Michael’s Youth Ministry Annual Spaghetti Supper, 5-7 p.m., Wednesday, April 26, St. Michael’s Parish Center, Nashua. Spaghetti, garlic toast, dessert and drinks. Cost: $7 per person. Tickets may be purchased at the door. Silent auctions and raffles
- NHS Blood Drive, 2:15-6:15 p.m., Nashua-Plainfield High School Commons. Click here for more details.
SATURDAY, APRIL 29
Nashua-Plainfield Prom — Grand March at 6 p.m. (NPHS Gym), doors open at 5:15 p.m. $1 admission proceeds to FCCLA- Dance 7-11:00 p.m. (NPHS Gym). After Prom (The W in Waverly) Buses load at 11:30 p.m. return at 3:30 a.m.