Charles City’s Mara Forsyth is leading the Wartburg College Knights softball team into the second half of the season with offensive numbers on pace to eclipse her sophomore breakthrough-year. Read more here.
The Charles City Council will meet tonight at 6 p.m and is expected to end it’s partnership with Floyd County on working toward a joint law enforcement center. Read more here
And Charles City studets get one more day of Easter vacation today as classes are not in session. Comet sports teams, however, will be in action. The girls tennis team is hosting Waverly-Shell Rock at 3 p.m. at Sportsman’s Park. The golf teams are heading to Cresco and the track teams are going to New Hampton.
Good morning, it’s Monday, April 17.
The National Weather Service forecast for the Charles City area today calls for mostly sunny skies with a high near 66.
Tonight, skies will be partly cloudy, with a low around 49.
The Wapsi river is out of it’s banks because of week end rain.
Calendar of events
THURSDAY, APRIL 20
* Cedar Talks: “The Executive Order,” 6-6:30 p.m., The Pub on Cedar, Charles City. Dr. Donna Hoffman of UNI will talk about executive orders by the president — past and present in this free, non-partisan presentation. Contact: Kate at email@example.com.
FRIDAY, APRIL 21
* Nashua Fireman’s Dance, 8:30-11:30 p.m., Nashua Town and Country Club, 2898 Asherton Ave. Farm Rock performance begins at 8:30 p.m.
SATURDAY, APRIL 22
* Painting class, make “Cow Cutie,” 9:30 a.m. Saturday, April 22, The Rustic Corner, 413 N. Main St, Charles City. Instructor: Robin Macomber of Art Box Painting Cost: $45. For more information, click here.
* Boot Camp for a Cause, 2 p.m., Nashua-Plainfield High School football field, Nashua. Benefit for the Tysdahl family and #TeamKnox. Cost: Give what you can. Being put on by Brandon Marks Fitness.
SUNDAY, APRIL 23
* Mother/Son Outdoor Adventure, 1-4 p.m., Sunday, April 23, Tosanak Recreation Area, 2535 Glass Road, Marble Rock. Sponsored by the I.C. PTO. Click here for more details and to register.
* Charles City Singers Concert, 7:30 p.m., Trinity United Methodist Church, Charles City. “The Journey: Songs of the British Isles.” Advance tickets $5 at First Security Bank & Trust, First Citizens Bank, the Charles City Area Chamber of Commerce, CC Art Center and from members. Tickets at door $7; students K-12 free. Click here for more.
MONDAY, APRIL 24
* Spring Sing, 7:30 p.m., Immaculate Conception School
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 26
* Immaculate Conception Spring Salad Luncheon & Card Party, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Wednesday, April 26, at the Columbus Club, 502 Clark St., Charles City. Cost is $7. Serving hot & cold salads, deviled eggs, desserts and drink. Carry outs available. Cards (500 & Bridge) begin at 12:30 p.m. Tickets are available at the I.C. Parish Office and at the door on the day of the event.
* St. Michael’s Youth Ministry Annual Spaghetti Supper, 5-7 p.m., Wednesday, April 26, St. Michael’s Parish Center, Nashua. Spaghetti, garlic toast, dessert and drinks. Cost: $7 per person. Tickets may be purchased at the door. Silent auctions and raffles
* NHS Blood Drive, 2:15-6:15 p.m., Nashua-Plainfield High School Commons. Click here for more details.